Quest: A Journey to Confirmation
678 Youth now meet on Wednesday evenings from 6:30 until 8:00pm. All 6th, 7th and 8th grade students are encouraged to join us weekly, either in person or online. We no longer meet Sunday mornings.
The path to Confirmation has been reorganized to bring our two previous programs (QUEST 1 and 678 Youth Sundays) together. We now have a three-year rotation of discovery, growth, and building relationships.
Why the changes?
Discipleship is our primary purpose for 678 Youth. We want our Youth be prepared in their journey of faith. That preparation includes much of what was being covered separately in QUEST 1, though not all of our Youth were involved in that program. We’ve stepped away from a “2-track” model (QUEST and youth group) to a unified concept.
As students move into youth ministry, they need to find their place in the ministry of Hope, including greater participation in worship. Hope Kids Sundays works well at the same time as worship. But for Youth, youth programming can conflict with attending worship. Meeting on Wednesdays allows these young people to discover the importance of both parts of their church life.
We also have the current challenge of the coronavirus and the social distancing that it requires. Shifting our focused ministry day to Wednesday will diminish tensions around Hope Kids Sundays transitions, building cleaning & sanitizing, and overall social distancing on Sunday mornings here at Hope. This may not be forever, but it is a reality for the foreseeable future.
Our time on Wednesdays nights (6:30 – 8:00) has four parts:
- Kickoff: We begin at 6:30pm with some fun — a music set, screen games, a skit, or a goofy video are all possibilities.
- Inspiration: The next 20 minutes introduces the core theme to the large group through a short teaching intended to inspire conversation and growth.
- Small Groups: This is the heart of the evening where Youth wrestle, question, grow, and discover with their Small Group Leader and peers.
- Wrap-Up: We close the evening as a large group for the last ten minutes.
Online or In-Person?
We recognize that not everyone will be willing or able to participate in person here at Hope. For those Youth who are online, we stream the Kickoff and Inspiration on our YouTube channel. Small Groups include participation via ZOOM, with the Wrap-Up once again streamed. Weekly registration (and masks!) are required for those attending in person due to maximum capacity limited by social distancing. For those who cannot attend at all on Wednesdays, the YouTube recording is made available for later viewing and we send out other materials weekly.
- The 6 Teaching Sessions are to be watched by the student and a parent while the student completes a note sheet to turn in — confirmands should do one per month from October through March. Pastor Greg leads a Zoom session on the first Tuesdays (November through April) to continue the conversation.
- The form to track Community Service Hours & Memory Verses Check the SERVICE tab at the top of this page for opportunities to serve at Hope.
For the Confirmation Project for the April 28 Faith Fair:
- CONFIRMATION REHEARSAL & FAITH FAIR is Wednesday, April 28, 6:30-8:30pm. Confirmands will come together with their families to display their stoles and project boards and celebrate their growth in faith with their fellow confirmands.
- CONFIRMATION is Sunday, May 2 at 1:00 pm. Families and relatives are invited to this special celebration service. (Confirmand dress code here.)
The step of Confirming their faith now extends from 678 Youth rather than being a separate track. The three-year rotation of teaching provides a foundation that eclipses what was formerly Quest 1. For all those that desire to move to Confirmation — typically in 8th Grade going forward — the process is very similar to what has been called Quest 2. The steps to Confirmation include:
- TEACHING SESSIONS: These sessions provide more specific instruction on God’s plan of Salvation and His Church and include preparation for Holy Communion. The six teaching videos and their accompanying guide are to be completed as the confirmand and parent watch at home.
- SERVICE HOURS & MEMORY VERSES: 20 hours of service and significant verses to remember are included to develop habits of a faith life.
- SPRING INTERVIEWS: Pastor Greg meets with each confirmand and their parents to discuss readiness for Confirmation, review the highlights of their faith journey so far, and to give confirmands their confirmation verse.
- FAITH PROJECT & FAITH FAIR: Students explore their personal faith by creating a confirmation stole and display board that is shared with families and the other confirmands in late April at the Faith Fair on the Wednesday before Confirmation Sunday. Pastor Greg will host two stole workshops to provide guidance.
Families will be asked to indicate in the Fall if their student will be confirming their faith in the Spring so that completion of the program steps can be tracked.