QUEST: A JOURNEY TO CONFIRMATION
Quest 2019 -20 registration is now closed.
"And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.” — Philippians 1:9-11
QUEST is the name of our Confirmation program here at Hope Church. It is a relationally-based two-year program designed to prepare our Youth for Confirmation of their faith and their ongoing faith-walk in life. It is an opportunity for Youth to discover, deepen, develop and affirm their faith in Christ.
Confirmation is one of the most significant seasons of growth for you — both parents and students. Youth, you are in the midst of learning about your faith, even as you are discovering more about what it means to own your personal faith in Christ. But that doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Parents, you are watching your son or daughter mature, ask questions, and at times struggle with issues of faith… and maybe discovering you have questions or struggles of your own. Together you are on a QUEST to discover more about discipleship habits, what your faith means in ‘real life’, and your place and purpose in God’s Church.
Resources for the 2019-20 Quest program:
- Quest 1 Sunday Class Calendar.
- Quest 1 Wednesday Class Calendar.
- For Quest 1 & 2, Quest Expectations.
- Quest 2 Calendar includes dates for the 6 monthly Teaching Sessions as well as other dates for Quest 2.
- Quest 2 Definitions explain the second year in detail.
- The form to track Community Service Hours & Memory Verses for both Quest 1 & 2.
For the Quest 2 Faith Fair:
QUEST 1 (FIRST YEAR)
Quest 1 is usually taken by students in 6th or 7th grade. It includes fundamentals of the faith story in both Old and New Testaments, connecting God’s plan of salvation into our lives. It covers basics like the books of the Bible, key people and themes in an engaging way to help students build a foundation for discovering God’s work in their own lives. The QUEST 1 program includes:
QUEST 2 (SECOND YEAR)
Quest 2 is taken after Quest 1 during 7th or 8th grade, with Confirmation taking place in the Spring. Life Groups form the core of this ministry, allowing for prayer, safety to ask questions, support for challenging times, and study of God’s Word. Large Group Teaching Sessions provide more specific instruction on God’s plan of Salvation and understanding of God’s Word and His Church, including preparation for Holy Communion. The main components of QUEST 2 include:
- TEACHING SESSIONS in a monthly seminar-style format (one Saturday morning per month, October to March) for both students AND parents -- dates here
- Twice-monthly LIFE GROUPS from October through March for students and their Life Group Leaders. For the 2019-20 Quest 2 program, Life Groups will be led by Becky Kilbride & Michelle Sorbera (Sundays), Leanne Bohn & Anna Dueker (Mondays), and Scott Dueker (Wednesdays.)
- Discovery interviews in the Fall (Pastor Greg meets with each Year 2 Student and their parents to get to know them, pray for and with them, and answer any lingering questions.)
- Completion & tracking of Memory Verses and 20 Community Service hours
- Confirmation interviews in the Spring (Pastor Greg meets with each Year 2 Student and their parents to discuss readiness for Confirmation, review the most helpful parts of the year for students, and to give Confirmands their Confirmation Verse.)
- A Faith Project consisting of the confirmation stole and display board where students explore their personal faith
- A “Faith Fair” evening with dessert where students can share and celebrate their growth in faith as they display their projects for their families and the other confirmands
Significant Dates FOR THE 2019-20 PROGRAM:
- PARENT MEETING (for both Quest 1 and 2) — Wednesday, September 11th, 6:30-7:30pm in the Higher Ground. (This will be immediately followed by an All Youth Parent meeting at 7:30 to discuss the rest of our Youth program.)
- ONLINE REGISTRATION DEADLINE — Sunday, September 15th (Quest 1 class assignments will be sent via email on Tuesday, Sept. 17. Quest 2 Life Group placements will be sent the following week.)
- YEAR 1 CLASSES with MR. ROGER DAHL -- begin Wednesday, September 18 (6:30-7:30pm) in the Higher Ground Main Room or Sunday, September 22 (6:00-7:0pm) in Room 110.
- YEAR 2 LIFE GROUPS-- begin Wednesday, Sept. 25, Sunday, Sept. 29, or, Monday, Sept. 30 at Hope from 6:30 - 8:00 pm. The groups will meet twice a month through March for a total of 12 sessions.
- YEAR 2 TEACHING SESSION 1 — Saturday, October 5th, 9:30-11:30am in the Higher Ground with Pastor Greg
- CONFIRMATION REHEARSAL & FAITH FAIR — Wednesday, April 29, 6:30-8:30pm (Quest 2 only.) Confirmands will come together for dessert with their families to display their stoles and project boards.
- CONFIRMATION — Sunday, May 3 at 1:00 pm (for Quest 2) Families and relatives are invited to this special service. (Confirmand dress code here.)
PLEASE NOTE: ONLY THE FIRST YEAR STUDENTS MEET EVERY WEDNESDAY OR SUNDAY! QUEST 2 students meet according to their Life Group Schedule. Sunday Quest 1 students and Quest 2 students not meeting on a given Wednesday night are invited to join our other middle school students for 678 Bible Study and Fellowship on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 8:30 starting September 18.
Quest will be canceled if the Greece Central School District cancels school or extracurricular activities. Weather cancellations (for Quest and all Hope Youth programming) will be announced on our Facebook and Instagram pages. In case of absences, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We sincerely hope this will be a season of significance and growth, both for students and their families! For additional questions, please contact us.
All events (except weekly gatherings) require advance registration and a current Youth Participation Packet.
Please let us know if emergency or health information changes.
CAN & BOTTLE DRIVE
You can help raise funds for our annual high school summer mission trip by donating your cans & bottles!